NEW ZEALAND 2008
21 NOVEMBER - 20 DECEMBER 2008
In 2007 I decided to visit this great country again, my trip in 2003 with my daughter Sonja was that great that I couldn't get enough of this beautiful country. After a few weeks of thinking I decided to travel alone this time, due to the fact that my daughter was married and had children. So to prevent an arguement with my son-in-law I decided not to take her with me again. My son who would have loved to go with me but he was to busy with his business so had to say sorry too.
It took me some time to find an affordable campervan, because when you travel alone you can’t split the costs of such a vehicle. But I got an address of a Dutch family willing to rent me their personal campervan, A Toyota Hi-Ace with Rooftop, for those 4 weeks, so when we agreed I would take that campervan, I could make the rest of my plans. This was in the beginning of January 2008
This time I wanted to do some thrills, because of my age it could be my last opportunity to do. On the other hand it was my own choice and I didn’t have to think about others, travelling alone this time.
The plans I worked out:
- A trip to the active volcano on White island, the island is 40 miles for the east coast;
- A balloon flight in Christchurch seeing the sun coming up from the ocean and reflecting its sunlight on the Alps;
- The Hooker Valley Walk, a light alpine walk in the Mount Cook National Park;
- Cruise in the fiord area of Doubtful Sound;
- Cruise in the fiord area of Milford Sound;
- The Siberia Experience in the Mount Aspiring National Park
- A HeliHike on the Franz Josef Glacier
- A Cruise and Walk in the Abel Tasman National Park
- A Cave Adventure in Waitomo, not an ordinary walk
- White Water Rafting in Okere Falls
The preparation was good ... .what became of it ... you’ll find on the next pages ....
This Travel log is corrected by Sue Nichelson a good friend of me that lived in Matamata (the city near Hobbiton from Lord Of The Rings), New Zealand where she had her own Bed & Breakfast. We, Karin (the new love of my life) and me, visited her again in 2011. Unfortunately she died in 2012. We lost a good friend. On the photo Sue on the second Swingbridge of the Hooker Valley Walk.